What to do after you have eaten your way through Italy, prayed your way through India and dreamt of exotic love in Bali.
That’s really the question isn’t it? What do you do after you’ve read the book?
That was what I kept asking myself. What’s next? How do I change this?
So, how did I change my life and end up in Paris (where I do my share of eating and found beautiful love).. I wrote into reality.
Here’s my story
As I have shared in blog posts, at one point in my life, crying wasn’t relegated to the bathroom floor in the middle of the night. I cried everywhere, seemingly all the time.
It began when lost my mom in 2008, which catapulted me into a fear state, prompting my painful, guilt ridden divorce (after 5 years and 8 counselors, mind you, I discovered that as great as he was, we weren’t great for each other).
This was closely followed by the unexpected death of my step father, then my beloved nephew at the age of 32 (on my birthday), a series of painful losses for my baby sister, (whom I adore and am very close to), and even more painful struggles for my son, (who is my heart).
To make life more exciting, well, and since I had to go back to work full time after my divorce, I started a business, my second, if you don’t count teaching yoga for 9 years, (which was both liberating and terrifying, the business, not teaching yoga. That was just fun.)
Then, I sold my “forever dream home” (at a significant financial loss), got myself into an engagement that left me $40,000 lighter, right before a fall that shattered my knee and left me unable to walk for four months. But that was just the icing.
Finally, for kicks, I decided on a total career change and wrote a book.
Then tragedy hit again, as I sat at my father’s bedside, helpless, for several months, until he too, left us.
Every time I went in for routine lab work my physician would ask me how life was. Small talk of course. But, as I laughingly related my life changing moments, she would grow wide eyed and then ask with sincerity if I was ok. I think the time I showed up for an appointment with no shoes (I am dead serious) and then had to go next door, barefoot, to buy shoes, she really started to worry.
But, in all of this, what pulled me out of things I could not change, and yes, change the things that I could, was writing. I wrote. Yes, I am an author. But first, I am a writer.
What I noticed was that when I wrote, I had more clarity, more composure, more joy and more purpose. Whenever I allowed the events of life to stop my writing practice I grew confused, anxious or angry, and then, there came the damned tears again. Argh!!
You see, we are bombarded with over 35,000 images/thoughts/stimuli daily requiring our attention, and often a decision. We miss most of this, thankfully. (Can you imagine what I might have forgotten to put on otherwise!?) But these things, noticed or not, alter our lives, until one day, unaware, we wake up and ask ourselves how the hell we got here.
That is why I write. That is why I am a writer. And that is how I re-wrote my life and wrote my way to Paris. Sound too good to be true? Try it for yourself and see.
I can’t promise it is easy, just simple, and joyful.
Because that is why I do what I do. I help women re-write their lives. I can show you how to do it too.
It is not a fairytale. It is my life.
And this is yours.
Psssstttt… Pixie Dust not required
- April 2018
- Feb 28, 2018 What’s stopping you from living your happiest life? Feb 28, 2018
- Feb 26, 2018 U R Feb 26, 2018
- Feb 9, 2018 3 STEPS TOWARDS WRITING SOME MAGIC INTO YOUR LIFE Feb 9, 2018
- Feb 7, 2018 How is your New Year starting out? Feb 7, 2018
- Dec 29, 2017 The ART of living the life you desire Dec 29, 2017
- Dec 20, 2017 HOW I GOT TO PARIS: If My Life is So Perfect, Why Am I Crying? Dec 20, 2017
- Dec 18, 2017 Magic Monday Musings: Who Are You? Dec 18, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Whoa Wednesday - Ever since I moved to Paris Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 12, 2017 Tantalizing Tuesdays in Paris: Brunch Anyone? Dec 12, 2017
- Dec 11, 2017 Monday Mojo – Johnny Hallyday Dec 11, 2017
- Dec 8, 2017 Think Tank Thursday: And the Winds Blow Dec 8, 2017
- Dec 5, 2017 Tantalizing Tuesdays in Paris: Want to Re-Write Your Life and In the Process Write Your Dream Novel? Dec 5, 2017
- Dec 4, 2017 MAGIC MONDAY MUSINGS: MOJO MONDAY Dec 4, 2017
- Dec 3, 2017 with the holidays nearing... Dec 3, 2017
- Dec 2, 2017 FREAKING FAB FRIDAY Newsletter 12/1/2017 Dec 2, 2017
- Nov 30, 2017 Think Tank Thursday: My Confession on the Real Reason I Moved to Paris, no BS Nov 30, 2017
- Nov 29, 2017 Whoa Wednesday!: What are You Saying Yes, or No to? Nov 29, 2017
- Nov 29, 2017 Tantalizing Tuesdays in Paris: What is a Gift to You? Nov 29, 2017
- Nov 27, 2017 Magic Monday Musings: What would you Buy? – Nov 27, 2017
- Nov 20, 2017 MAGIC MONDAY MUSINGS: Tell Me Nov 20, 2017
- Nov 16, 2017 Think Tank Thursday Nov 16, 2017
- Nov 15, 2017 Whoa Wednesday Nov 15, 2017
- Nov 13, 2017 Magic Monday Musings : Nov 13, 2017
- Nov 7, 2017 Tantalizing Tuesdays in Paris | Taking a Walk Through the Neighborhood Nov 7, 2017
- Nov 6, 2017 Magic Monday Musings - Saturday Writing Group Nov 6, 2017
- Nov 3, 2017 FREAKING FAB FRIDAYS ARE HERE!! Nov 3, 2017
- Nov 2, 2017 Think Tank Thursday... Lessons Learned Nov 2, 2017
- Nov 1, 2017 Whoa Wednesday, Where are you? | Van Gogh Nov 1, 2017
- Oct 31, 2017 HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Oct 31, 2017
- Oct 31, 2017 Tantalizing Tuesdays in Paris - writing exercise 30 October 2017 Oct 31, 2017
- Oct 30, 2017 Magic Monday Musings - Eva Oct 30, 2017
- Oct 27, 2017 FREAKING FAB FRIDAYS ARE HERE!! Oct 27, 2017
- Oct 26, 2017 Thursday think and talk: Risk Saying Yes – and No Oct 26, 2017
- Oct 25, 2017 WHOA WEDNESDAY: Renew Direction for Who You Want to Be Oct 25, 2017
- Oct 24, 2017 Tantalizing Tuesdays in Paris Oct 24, 2017
- Oct 23, 2017 Magic Monday Musings: Open the Door Oct 23, 2017
- Oct 20, 2017 Thursday Think and Talk #1 | Julia Cameron and Guest Poetry Oct 20, 2017
- Oct 19, 2017 Whoa! It’s Wednesday… | Where are you? Oct 19, 2017
- Oct 17, 2017 Brightly, Beautifully, Brilliantly...Just the Way You Were Intended to Oct 17, 2017
- Oct 16, 2017 Magic Monday Musings: I’m Late, I’m late. For a Very Important Date. Oct 16, 2017
- Oct 11, 2017 Magic Monday Musings: The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men Oct 11, 2017
- Oct 4, 2017 Home of the Free Oct 4, 2017
- Oct 3, 2017 More Than Temporary Oct 3, 2017
- Oct 2, 2017 Magic Monday Musings: my leg two years ago Oct 2, 2017
- Sep 25, 2017 MAGIC MONDAY Sep 25, 2017
- Sep 18, 2017 MAGIC MONDAY Sep 18, 2017
- Sep 11, 2017 It’ s Magic Monday » “Time for the proverbial fat lady to sing”. Sep 11, 2017
- Sep 5, 2017 MEET MY NEIGHBORS Sep 5, 2017
- Aug 29, 2017 MAGIC MONDAY : “I Will Take Mine GRAND, Thank You.” Aug 29, 2017
- Aug 12, 2017 She wasn’t born herself Aug 12, 2017
- Feb 7, 2017 How Spinning Thoughts Keep Us from Writing Feb 7, 2017